Silly Economy.

Mar 7, 2009

I was in Australia when I first heard talks about this global economic recession. I brushed it aside as something that would never affect me. I was on the other side of the world, living the dream, and the economy was something I was neither concerned or opinionated about.
When I returned to my home country of frozen land Canada, I started looking for a job and found a temporary office position almost immediately. "Silly media, the economy isn't crumbling down!", I thought.
3 months later I found myself unemployed, laid off due to the economic crisis. Okay, maybe I should have listened to the warnings, saved some money, prepared myself for the reality that I may find myself without work in the near future... but in typical Krysta fashion, I had spent most of my earnings on things that I really had no use for. I couldn't help it, I had been living out of a backpack for a year, buying things and not having to carry them everywhere I went was a luxury I'd greatly missed. So there I was, without a job, having moved back into my mom's house temporarily. Well, this sucks. A month later, I'm in the same situation. I've applied to countless jobs, jobs I could never imagine myself working (A blood clinic?! I faint at the sight of blood!) in a desperate attempt to secure some form of income to pay off my incredibly maxed out credit card (Yes, Australia was a costly adventure) while continuing to make payments towards my student loan and car insurance. What do I do? Only time will tell. I've never been one to call myself responsible. If I had $5 extra right now, I'd probably go to Starbucks rather than put it aside until something important came up, you know like.. starvation. That's who I am, and as stupid as it may be, I'll never change. So I sit here applying to every job posting that I find, writing great cover letters and perfecting my resume to make it seem like I'm Super Krysta, capable of anything. I don't think the prospective employers are convinced, unfortunately, but I just have to be persistent.
In the meantime, I'm still living by my "Carpe Diem" logic. Things might be tough right now, but they could be a lot worse. As my lovely friend Kevin quotes Dory from Finding Nemo... "Just keep swimming!". The only unfortunate thing about that quote is that I never actually learnt to swim....

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comments really make my day... so stop and say hi!!