Just get me on a plane already.

Sep 17, 2010

It's been 10 days since I've been on a plane, and I still have 2 more to go until my next flight! Not by choice, might I add. Since calling in sick for my Sydney flight (which I'm still devastated about!), I've been handed a pile of days off and airport standbys. Of course, I haven't been pulled out for any flights and now that I'm much healthier the boredom is starting to get to me!
Dubai can be a lonely place.
I have some really great friends here in my desert home, but they are all cabin crew. Like I am supposed to be doing, they are busy flying around the world. I've managed to see a few friends for coffee and lunch dates, but aside from that, I've been all by my lonesome.
Endless hours of spare time has lead to a great deal of thinking, and I had to ask the question... how do people do it?! I like to think that I'm a pretty strong person and capable of living thousands of miles from the people that I love. Despite this, I still am prone to the occasional emotional breakdown in which I sit in my room and cry and wonder why I'm living so far away when I could be back home surrounded by people who love me and have plenty of time to visit me. Some crew have been here for many years. They consider Dubai to be "home", despite rarely seeing their families or friends that they left behind. I suppose having a boyfriend in Canada does make it a bit harder for me than it might be for some of the single people, but I still don't know how they do it. I'm still coming to terms with the fact that I won't be home for Thanksgiving this year, or for Christmas or New Years for the second year in a row. How some people do this year after year and don't seem to let it bother them one bit is beyond me. I'm really looking forward to the day that I can spend December baking Christmas goodies to fatten Ryan up and decorating my house with excessive festive decor.
Please don't misinterpret this as "Krysta is homesick, she's moving home!" because that is not the case, not yet. Now that I've rambled on for a good amount of time, I'll get to the point of this entire post:
I'm jealous of you too.
As I'm sure you can imagine, I constantly hear remarks such as "You are so lucky!" or "I wish that I could go to all of these places that you do!". On almost a daily basis I hear "I'm so jealous of you."
Well, my jealous friends, I hope you can take comfort in the fact that sometimes I long for a normal life just like you all have. Simple pleasures like Sunday dinner with the family, or taking your puppy for a walk, or going on a date with your boyfriend... these are all things that I've had to sacrifice to be where I am right now. This isn't to say that I don't love my job or that I regret moving to Dubai... it's just to say that the grass always seems greener on the other side, but I can confirm that this isn't always true. I'll admit, sometimes it is. Much greener. Other times... well, there is no grass at all. I live in the desert, remember?

6 comments:

Kim said...

I do envy your lifestyle and all the amazing places you've seen - but this puts all the little things I take for granted into perspective. Hope it's not too long till you get to see your loved ones again!

Arthur Pereira said...

I could'n agree more with you Krysta... and by the way, you are a great writer... :)

Krysta said...

Kim, they both have their pros and cons! :) I couldn't do this forever, but it's a fun temporary life.

Arthur, thank you! :) I know you understand, home is just as far away for you!

Lovely Camlian said...

I agree its just a fun temporary life or let's just say a temporary career. Like what you have said Krysta you couldn't do that forever. I know there is contentment in your heart to be fulfilling your dream job and soon you'll come to the point that you are going home and be with you love ones. Just stay strong and enjoy where you are now. Your loveones are happy for you and they miss you too.

Amber Cavers said...

I feel like a bit of an asshole for not thinking that you would be jealous of us "at home". I get excited for you when you get to go to new places though. And I'll still get jealous when I see the yummy food pictures!!

Gio said...

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. And if you did not have this job and had the boring insurance job back in Canada, you would be thinking how much you would want to be in Dubai and flying around the world. Be strong hun. There are always sacrifices in life and having your loves one far away is the price you have to pay. Enjoy what you do and make everyday a blessing for experiencing what you have always imagined you would be doing. Love.

Post a Comment

Comments really make my day... so stop and say hi!!