Sad Days

Sep 12, 2010

The highlight of my month's roster was without a doubt my Sydney/Auckland trip. I was extremely excited for 6 whole days away from the sandpit in 2 of my most favorite destinations! My suitcase was packed and I had big plans to spend my days enjoying the fresh air, taking as many photos as I could, and most importantly... indulging in fresh sushi.
The day before the flight I was battling a nasty cold. I set off in search of any cold medicine to magically make me healthy overnight. Medicated and drowsy, I was able to have a nice 9 hour sleep prior to the flight.
I woke up the next morning at 5 am, ready to ditch Dubai. Unfortunately, no amount of sleep and medicine was going to defeat this cold. I was completely congested and my voice was cracking. At any of my previous jobs, I would have sucked it up headed to work, but I've flown sick before. I've felt the excruciating ear and sinus pain. I've brushed it aside only to lose my voice shortly after take off, making for an extremely long and miserable flight. Despite this knowledge, there was no way I wanted to be stuck in Dubai. Perhaps a shower would make me feel better? So I proceeded to shower and get ready for my flight as per usual. It was no use. Even after a long night's sleep, I wanted nothing more than to crawl back into bed and lie there all day. As much as I hated to admit it, I knew that a 14 hour flight would only make me far more ill. I reluctantly called the duty reporter and sadly informed her that I was reporting sick for my flight. "Okay, I'll remove Sydney from your roster", she replied. I was a little bit heartbroken as I headed back to sleep for a few more hours.
Here I am, stuck in Dubai. Just wishing I was fit to fly.

1 comments:

ZZ said...

Disappointing, that's for sure. But you'll get to go again soon.

Drink plenty of water!

Post a Comment

Comments really make my day... so stop and say hi!!