December Days

Dec 11, 2014

It's December, and thus my second favourite month of the year... second only to June, because that's the beginning of summer and my birthday.  
Life has been wonderfully chaotic since our return from vacation. Aaralee is 15 months old and busier than ever.  She spends 70% of her day running circles around the house, and 30% of it eating.  She manages to sneak in some time for home destruction as well.  Her favourite activities are emptying the tupperware drawer, toting jars from our spice rack around the house, and attempting to dismantle our Christmas tree.  She face plants from running too fast about 10 times daily, and when it happens in public bystanders gasp as I shrug and say "she's fine". She has also recently taken up high pitched screaming whenever she's remotely annoyed.  "This bucket is too big to fit inside of a cup!"  - Scream.  "Mommy won't let me drink a bottle of vinegar!" - Scream. You get the idea. When you're one, life is completely unfair. 


Being a toddler's mother is a whole new ball game, but it's the moments in which she giggles hysterically, dances like nobody is watching (or videotaping), gives me kisses with a pacifier in her mouth, or sweetly hugs her puppy that make the tantrums and messy home worth it... Nap time is pretty awesome too.  
Of course, there are times in which I question my sanity when it comes to the fact that come June, we'll be adding an extra person to the mix.  Not that long ago I sat in my doctor's office waiting room, pregnant with Aaralee. There were heavily pregnant moms chasing insane toddlers and I watched them with admiration for their bravery, wondering how on earth they managed. Fast forward to yesterday, and I sat in the same spot with my miserable daughter, cursing the fact that the only appointment available had happened to fall during nap time.  The appointment was an hour late, as per usual, and we both needed a nap by the time that I was finally called into the room. When I heard that tiny little heartbeat though, it was as though I instantly forgot about the waiting room stress. Few things feel more surreal than the realization that there is a tiny little person growing inside of you.  Sure, life will be hectic, but I wouldn't change a thing. We are so blessed to have the opportunity to do this all over again!


I digress, so back on the topic of December... Christmas is only 2 weeks away! Now that Aaralee is older and more aware of her surroundings, I'm really looking forward to this holiday. I can't wait to see her tear into her gifts and watch her play with the rest of the kids in the family. We've already gotten into the holiday spirit around the house and at this rate she should know the words to every Christmas carol by the time that she starts singing.  


On todays agenda: Cookie baking and perhaps a sled right around the block. Maybe (fingers crossed!) this is the evening that I can persuade Ryan to watch Christmas movies and drink hot chocolate with me.  'Tis the season! 


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comments really make my day... so stop and say hi!!