Conquering My Biggest Fear.

Nov 13, 2009

Trembling with fear, I finally took the brave, grown up girl step and visited the dentist. To be honest, had it not been a requirement for the airline job, I probably would have procrastinated for at least another year. Sitting in the waiting room, I contemplated walking out, sacrificing my dream career, and never returning to the dentist ever again. When the hygenist called my name, I knew it was too late. I followed her down the hall, sat in the chair, and said a little prayer in my head. I don't know what it is, but I've hated visiting the dentist since I was a little girl. I fidgeted my fingers as I bit down for an X-ray. "Oh, you still have your wisdom teeth?!" The hygienist asked, seeming surprised. This was my worst fear. I'll take cavities, heck, give me a root canal, but leave my wisdom teeth where they are. I've grown quite fond of them since they grew in when I was 16. Since then, I've watched my friends and family suffer through wisdom tooth extractions, and heard horror stories of dry sockets and torn stitches. Please Mr. Dentist, don't take my beloved teeth. The X-rays were done and my teeth were on display on a monitor beside the chair. The dentist walked in, looked at my chart and said "Wow, I'm exactly 10 years and 3 days older than you!" Oh, lovely. Dear Mr. Dentist, I'm far too nervous for your stupid small talk. He peered into my mouth, poking at my teeth while he chattered away. "What have you been told about your wisdom teeth in the past?" He asked, "Have they ever bothered you?" I shook my head furiously. "Nope, never had a problem with them!" I was terrified at this point, wondering why they kept bringing up the subject. "Well they seem to have came in quite nicely." The dentist replied. HUGE sigh of relief. No painful mouth surgery for me. When all was said and done, I had one cavity. One itsy bitsy little hole that requires filling, but I'll be high on nitrous oxide for the procedure and it won't phase me one bit. Not bad, considering that my last dentist visit was in 2002 (I know... my bad). The dentist even commended me for taking great care of my teeth, as I'm a pro brusher and flosser. Walking into that office was the hardest part, but I'm glad that I got it over with. I can do anything now!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comments really make my day... so stop and say hi!!