a christmas story

Dec 27, 2012

I woke up in a daze. It was Christmas morning, and there I was, lying in bed next to my husband. Our bed, in our house.  It felt rather surreal to me, having started Christmas in empty apartments and hotel rooms for the past 4 years.  I'd forgot about the excitement of waking up to have a big breakfast and open gifts.  This was Christmas... and I'd missed it oh so much.  
We cooked up  a feast of bacon and eggs and turned our living room into a mess of wrapping paper. 


Our puppy ran excitedly through the house with his new toys and treats.  I was so blissfully happy in that moment that it didn't matter that I'd have to work later in the day. I was home for Christmas with my awesome little family and I couldn't wish for much more than that. 


That afternoon, my husband hit the highway and drove to his parents house for dinner, while I proceeded to don my uniform and get ready for work. I packed a box of treats for my crew and headed to the airport. 

It was an easy flight up to the diamond mine, though I felt bad for the workers that we were bringing back when they should have been at home eating turkey dinner.  Once we landed, we had the quickest turnaround of my life, boarding shortly after the last passenger had disembarked. The returning workers were in high spirits, heading home for what was left of the holidays.  They were even happier when I informed them that we'd by bypassing our usual stop in Yellowknife. With no passengers going there, we were able to continue directly to Edmonton, saving a great deal of time. I was just as happy as they were when we landed 2 hours ahead of schedule... it was a Christmas miracle! 
Back home I patiently waited for my husband's return, and when he finally arrived he came bearing my turkey dinner!  I reheated it, and it was just as delicious as it would have been had I actually been there. 
We relaxed and cuddled with our puppy, and it was the best Christmas I'd had in years.   
I hope that everyone else had a Christmas day just as wonderful as mine!  

1 comments:

SkyMommy said...

So glad you were able to be (mostly) home for Christmas. It really is a special treat and one that I never forget to be grateful for.

Post a Comment

Comments really make my day... so stop and say hi!!