high on sunshine and life.

May 13, 2013

Springtime has arrived. Last week was pure bliss with hot, hot sunny days. Between flying to the arctic and a few months of morning sickness, this past winter felt as though it would never end. I'm thrilled that it appears there is actually a light at the end of the long, miserable tunnel known as winter.  
The sun is shining, the snow is melted, and I'm feeling great.  Now if I could just stay this comfortable throughout the summer, life would be wonderful. I'm not getting my hopes up. I know that hot, sweaty days and swollen feet are in my not so distant future.  
In the spirit of the warm weather, we have started to make our yard look a whole lot nicer. And by we, I mean Ryan. He planted shrubs and trees (I helped... a bit) and pulled up sod to create a pretty little area by our fence. I help out by watering our new plants when I'm at home during the day.


 Feeling inspired to have a beautiful yard, I ventured to the garden centre with the intent of buying gorgeous flowers to plant and make the yard a bit more girly. It didn't take long to remember that I am absolutely useless when it comes to such things as gardening, and I left empty handed. Grandma, I know that you are reading this... please come plant flowers for me. I will water them and admire them. 
The rest of the week was lazy and great, with the exception of one long work day that took me far north and back. I was fortunate enough to have great crew, making the day reasonably bearable.  
This weekend we ventured to our home town, Red Deer. We spent Friday night with Ryan's parents who were just about to jet off to Mexico.  They are celebrating their 40th anniversary, so they certainly deserve the vacation! 
Saturday we dressed up and headed to celebrate Ron and Sky's wedding. The weather could not have been more perfect for their big day.  I love weddings, especially when they are friends that I've known for quite awhile. Ron has been to so many weddings as a photographer, so it was fun to watch him have his turn walking down the aisle with a great big smile on his face. Pregnant, emotional me managed to maintain my composure, which was a nice bonus. While the rest of the guests sipped beverages at the reception, I made up for the fact that I couldn't have any wine by indulging in food. So much food. Regret would follow, but binge eating is always worth it in the moment.  


Sunday was Mother's Day. We spent awhile visiting Ryan's grandma before taking my mom out for dinner. We opted for a sushi night, and I was in tempura and maki heaven. I might not be a mom yet, but I will be soon, so I requested ice cream as my Mother's Day wish.  We headed to my beloved Little Ice Cream and Soda Shop, where I showed no moderation and chose not one, but two flavours.... cake batter and mint chocolate chip, in case you care to know. 


I blamed the baby for my unhealthy eating, as per usual. I know a few ladies who have been through tough losses and long to be in my position right now, so they were in my thoughts Mother's Day as I reminded myself of just how lucky I am to be growing a healthy baby.  The same thoughts got me through my glucose tolerance test this morning, where I was forced to drink a not so yummy sugary drink and have my blood taken to test for gestational diabetes. It wasn't much fun for a big wimp like me, but I got through it. 
I almost forgot to mention that on Sunday evening we booked a mother-daughter trip that will take place in a couple of weeks. I'd tell you where we are going, but flying standby one never really knows.  Regardless, it will be a great time and a good excuse to show off our pretty pedicures that we got last weekend at the Walmart spa... yes, I'm completely serious.  


Spring is wonderful, life is good, and I'm even looking forward to work this week as it will take me to visit my friend Kimmy in Saskatoon and to eat French onion soup in Montreal! Oh, and did I mention that one of my best friends and my former Dubai roommate is coming to Canada to visit me in July?! We will have so many adventures, even though I'll be a giant, waddling pregnant lady by that point.
 I'm not sure how on Earth I'm so lucky, but I'll take it! 


1 comments:

beaners said...

Nice toenails! Love the patterns!

Post a Comment

Comments really make my day... so stop and say hi!!